THE WILFRED AND ANN LEE KONNEKER ENDOWMENT FOR LEADERSHIP “VISIONARIES IN HIGHER EDUCATION”
Leadership is a process whereby a student of promise, drawing upon integrity and the best values of faith and the human spirit, motivates others to achieve a common goal.
The Wilfred and Ann Lee Konneker Endowment for Leadership was established at Culver-Stockton College in 2013 to support the immersion of leadership development and teachings into the College’s distinctive and innovative approach to student learning. The outcome of the resources gifted to the College by the Konneker’s is to provide a supportive and value based learning environment where students are able to acquire attitudes, knowledge and skills to successfully work with others to accomplish mutual goals. Building one’s self-awareness as a leader through offerings of personal development initiatives and the promotion and understanding of various leadership styles helps students at the College create their own preference on approaches to leading in a vastly changing world.
Annual earnings from the invested principal provide funding that impacts leadership teachings and comprehension in the following ways:
- A freshman course in leadership offered through our “First Year Experience” program initially sets the stage and mindset for student learning through the four-year experience. This course offering facilitates a greater understanding of leadership theory and practice along with the importance of involved citizenry within a new student’s first semester on campus.
- A “leader in residency program” annually brings exceptional leaders throughout the region, country and world to campus to share experiences and knowledge on leadership. Individuals selected by our committee on leadership development spend an extended time on campus and deliver a joint presentation to both students and other interested parties beyond the campus community, engage and interact with classes throughout campus, while teaching small group workshops on “leadership through experiential learning.”
- A selective student stipend program for travel to leadership conferences as approved by our committee on leadership development and academic dean. For more information or to apply, see Policies and Procedures below.
Conferences that reflect a variety of leadership development seminars are be considered, including the National Center for Student Leadership, which further leadership training beyond the campus as an integral part of our travel learning program – The C-SC Advantage.
The principal and any retained earnings of the Wilfred and Ann Lee Konneker Endowment for Leadership are governed by the prevailing Culver-Stockton College investment policies as approved by the Board of Trustees. The annual earnings available for distribution are determined in accordance with the College’s Endowment Spending Policy.
Policies and Procedures
The Konneker Student Leadership Grant exists to foster the development of student leadership skills so that they may better serve their school, our community and the world around them.
- Applicants must have a faculty/staff sponsor who endorses their application.
- Applicants are expected to have pursued other sources of funding for their experience.
- Awardees must share what they have learned in a community program later in the year (or following semester).
Policies and Procedures:
- There is a $1000 maximum for any grant. Money awarded in the grant can be used for registration, lodging, travel and meals – following the set guidelines in staff and faculty handbooks regarding travel, lodging and meal expense.
- Applications deadlines are twice during the academic year. The deadlines are set by the Konneker Leadership committee. Currently the deadlines are: Spring 2015 – March 1, 2015; Fall 2015 – October 15, 2015; Spring 2016 – March 1, 2016.
- Applications can be submitted emailed to the Dean of Student Life.
- The committee reviews all applications the week following the deadline. The committee then informs all applicants of the decision no later than two weeks after the deadline.
- The committee reserves the right to ask for applicants to come to a committee meeting to ask for clarification on the application.
- This grant is for undergraduate students currently enrolled and in good academic standing at the time of the application.
Applications are available in the Student Life Office for the Konneker Student Leadership Grant or below for download.